Monday 20 May 2013

First Prints


These are the first digital prints I made based on pre-existing collages in 2009/2010.

I had originally talked to Patrick Bulas, who is the printmaking technician at the University of Saskatchewan and an accomplished printmaker, about perhaps scanning and converting some smaller collages into larger digital prints on rag paper and asked for his assistance and the use of the printmaking studio’s large Epson printer.  Patrick agreed to scan the collages I gave him and to my surprise went ahead and printed one on a sheet of rag paper as a test.  He printed Collage #73 and I was happy to see it pinned to the wall of the digital lab one day when I went in.  I was really pleased with the results, as was Patrick.

In the Spring of 2011, again with Patrick’s help, we printed the collages seen here on 22X30” BFK Rives rag printmaking paper.  The BFK has decaled edges so had a few problems with the edges picking up black ink smudges from the printing heads.  The Epson printer in the printmaking area had seen a lot of use from students by then so was getting a bit finicky.  Also the BFK Rives is not coated and I later had an Epson technician assure me that I would get much better color results if I used the coated rag paper developed for the printers although I was pleased with the color and the print quality.



#57

#54

#73

No comments:

Post a Comment